Thursday, January 13, 2011

It was quite pretty.

It was evening, I was at home. I was sitting at the kitchen table with my parents and sister. Katie Ballard shows up randomly, even though it's like 9:30 at night, and says she's here to walk the dog. I ask Ralph if he wants to go for a walk, he tucks his tail between his legs and sits down, indicating that he does not. Not wanting to seem rude, we invited Katie to sit and converse with us. I think we were planning my graduation party. I ask Katie how she's doing in school. She tells me she's actually a spy and needed to walk Ralph as part of her cover to spy on people in the park. I feigned interest and turned back to the table to join in the conversation.
I said that I wanted to invite everyone to my party. EVERYONE. So I needed to print out tons of invitations, and pass them out to all of my classmates. Every single one of them. We'd decided to go on a walk anyway, because the sky was doing something interesting. The sun was setting on one side of the lake. It was a stunningly bright disk floating right on the horizon, and the blues and pinks in the sky were reflected in the water. I could look at it without being blinded. On the other side of the lake the moon was rising, and it was also huge and bright, but beyond its ring of radiance the sky around it was improbably dark given the giant sun, and devoid of stars. I tried to snap a picture of both, but my camera failed to take adequate pictures. They were good enough, though, that I wanted to put them on all of the invitations I'd made for my party. I put the picture of the moon on half of them, and the sun on the other half.

No comments: